Friday 2 January 2009

Duffy - Rain on Your Parade

I’ve got to start this blog with the mandatory face-saving statement, declaring that ‘I’m not really into her other stuff but…’ so that you might take me seriously (and hopefully not judge me too harshly) but I really like Duffy’s latest single ‘Rain on Your Parade.’ As coffee-table and ‘Winehouse photocopy’ as she might be, the girl-from-the-Valley’s current offering has me hooked. The lyrics are not exactly dextrous and it certainly doesn’t mark much of a divergence for Duffy, it is essentially another song about heartbreak, although this time girl bites back! (That was said in jest… obviously…) What is perhaps sounding like a potentially rather wet answer to the ‘jilted in love but coming out fighting’ genre of Destiny Child’s back catalogue actually has a vengeful, malevolent tone which is captivating. I have always had a penchant for the theatrical, something that undoubtedly bodes well for ‘Rain on Your Parade’ as it wouldn’t be out of place sung by a musical villain plotting retribution, and to this extent Duffy fully delivers with this catchy release.

So yeah I like it.

Shut up.

No comments: