Wednesday 18 May 2011

Not so GaGa

Can't decide what to think about GaGa's latest offerings. Upon first hearing both 'Born this Way' and 'Judas' I was relatively unimpressed.  They seemed to lack a certain something that made both 'The Fame' and 'The Fame Monster' (with their respective singles  and 'Just Dance', 'Paparazzi', 'Bad Romance' and 'Telephone' in particular) excellent pop music albums. However, since they have got stuck in my head and I've began to like them more.  My problem is if it's a case of them being justified in my affections.

'Judas' without doubt seems a little unfinished and unrefined in a way not true of her earlier work. At times it feels like two different songs pushed together.  Whilst I have no illusions about the limits of GaGa's artistic merit and talent, 'Paparazzi' had a lyrical complexity and sincerity ("I'm your biggest fan i'll follow you until you love me" creating a recognisable image of youthful infatuation) that 'Judas' doesn't.  Even it's extended syllables, "Papa-papa-razzi", seem to have more purpose than those in 'Judas' which feel more filler.

  Similarly I felt the emotion in 'Bad Romance' - "I want your loving and your lover's revenge" spoke to me of a dysfunctional relationship you couldn't give up, crescendoed with the cry "I don't wanna be frieeeeends!!! - want your bad ro-mance!" a desperate plea.  In comparison 'Born This Way's' affirmation of self love and respect felt flat.  I certainly appreciate the sentiment, and its purpose as an anthem for gay pride but feel it's just a generic gay disco track.  Good to dance to but without the flair and depth (as deep as any of the relatively superficial issues she deals with can be) of her earlier work.  

I heard a clip of her proposed third single, 'Hair', and loved it instantly.  Nevertheless it's counterparts in self-reflection -'Brown Eyes' and 'So Happy I Could Die' as I see it - on her other two records have something that 'Hair' lacks in approachability and relate-ability.

All the same I am at least left with "ooh oh oh oh, ooh oh I'm in love with Judas-ah-as, Judas!" on a loop in my head and it doesn't feel so bad...

No comments: