Monday 15 December 2008

Father it has been three months since my last confession...

I love Christmas songs! There I’ve said it now and can finally embrace myself ;)
Everything from 'God Bless Ye Merry Gentlemen' to 'All I want for Christmas is You' brings the biggest grin to my face and makes me incomprehensibly giddy! Perhaps it's my love of Christmas generally that makes it so, the cold weather only makes staying warm inside with a snowball all the more enjoyable and as a confirmed glutton I cannot get enough of Christmas dinner - with all the trimmings! However, I have a great love affair with Christmas songs of all types and genres. Whilst writing my final essay of 2008 (and listening to Radio 1 on the library computers) 'Fairytale of New York' came down my headphones - it was the beginning of Christmas for me (f**k the coke advert, the song's a classic!). Yes they're cheesy and often unbelievably contrived but they take me back to a time when Christmas was... wait for the clichéd description... magical. Only being 19 years old (although I’m very much on the verge of a quarter-life crisis) such a time was not all that far away but a Pan-esque fear of growing up - or is that of embracing responsibility #vomit# - makes me run to these songs at Yuletide to make me feel about 5 again. So shout your favourite Christmas songs loud and shout 'em proud!

No comments: