Monday 15 December 2008

Pull yourself together!

Two aspects of Saturday night's X-Factor Final were unforgivable. The first is that monstrosity that was created on Alexandra Burke's head; the woman looked like a cocker spaniel, her stylist deserves to be sacked (if not shot). The second was the wholly undignified display that Alexandra undertook (and undertook more and more as we progressed towards the final) that bordered on an emotional breakdown. What ever happened to the good old British stiff upper lip? It loathes me to take such a Daily Mail tone but Alexandra's reaction was completely over the top and cringe-makingly embarrassing. I know, I know, tears and tantrums are part of the course as far as reality TV shows go but she seemed to take it to a new level. Surely by her third and fourth performances she might have been able to master her emotions? As for actually falling on the floor when the result was announced, words escape me. She must have realised that she was within a strong chance of winning (not least as she was the bookies' favourite!). I'm not expecting her to show no emotion but the displays of tears which have become overly common-place on the X-Factor, particularly from our new winner, are just horrendous and have become so cliché that they now seem completely insincere! I can only hope that next year's competition is not such a tear-fest or I fear I shall be tuning out!

No comments: